In the Time Machine, H. G. Wells imagines a future society which features the total dependency of one species upon another. The Morlocks provide the Eloi with food and a ‘carefree’ existence. The Eloi are the Morlocks’ food. The Morlocks represent the humans who went underground to survive the nuclear holocaust; the Eloi were those who could not afford bunkers but had managed somehow to survive on the surface.
That all changed once Wells’ hero devised a machine that could travel time and brought the knowledge of the past into the future.
The dystopia imagined by H. G. Wells left most folks incapable of looking after themselves. Unbeknownst to the Eloi, the Eloi were WIRED to go into a trance whenever the Siren sounded, and walk right into the ‘warehouse’ where the Morlocks stored their ‘food’ and left their ‘garbage’.
I wonder what H. G. might have written today? IMO, the exact same thing. He was writing about the gap between rich and poor, during the run-up to Act I of the Great War (now threatening to raise the curtain upon Act III) when, as Michael Piketty observed, the gap was becoming so extreme it became an impetus for war; capable of drawing in the whole world.
Here is the ‘evolutionary’ process:
- The advent of Neoliberal ‘democracy’ began the process of monetizing EVERYTHING.
- With everything monetized, nothing can be done without money changing hands. Those with the most money control the money supply. Therefore they control who does what with with what $$$ they make available to us.
- What is available to anyone is what the market is willing to provide and that is determined by wealthy people who own the production side of the market. The market is about $$$ and not the social good, unless there is profit in it. That is why our ruling class thought it a good idea to send our jobs and our opportunity to earn a good living, for ourselves and our families, overseas – unless it is cheaper for them to import permanent and temporary labour.
- What is given to anyone is what they can afford to pay for. NOW WE ARE INTO THE CRUX OF THE US-AND-THEM PHENOMENA, and partway to Wells’ dystopia: rich folks can shop ‘organic’ and their children can eat ‘organic’ BUT at the same time we leave poorer folks to shop $stores and their kids to eat JUNK. This leaves the rich to eat too well (leading to pathology) and the poor to not eat well (leading to pathology).
- With time, the affluent become portly and blind, unable to see in the Light. The poor live out their lives in a trance, hoping for better days, but, practically, waiting to be consumed by wars among the wealthy ruling classes of the World, or by disease, or simply by despondency in lack of opportunity to achieve something better, because that requires something they no longer have…$$$
- In the end, an enfeebled lower class will collapse under the weight of the upper class and all will be lost. Elon, Jeff, and Bill, et al. will be too busy trying to eat one another and the poor to be bothered any more with blathering about ‘saving humankind’…
This then is where the vision of the ruling class is leading the World. In exchange for an elevated lifestyle, rich folks would trade in the future of all humankind, even that of their own grandchildren…all out of greed…they think they won’t be around to suffer for what they do now…but IMO, karma is a bitch and will not go unrequited…see what happens to Hitler in Little Nicky if you want a hint of what is in store for anyone of Wealth who does not see their wealth as an opportunity to steward society…this could be why Jesus said, Blessed are the poor… poverty ‘purchases’ only lack of opportunity for the impoverished, EXCEPT FOR ETERNAL CONSCIOUSNESS…unconstrained by the ego of acquisition, their spirits will fly as high as the Angels of Light.
The poor suffer a short while because of the greed of others OF THEIR OWN KIND, but they will not be weighted down by the offence they have given others when they leave their own bodies behind to move on to another locale within the Beam of Light which continues to extend out from the Centre, where the Big Bang occurred. If I were Elon Musk, I’d be worried about how big a melon $44B could buy…
What is needed:
- Invest in educating and facilitating parenting. One parent at home, full time, but can work from home…
- Invest in educating and facilitating family-based eldercare at home, rather than sticking our elders into cold, clinical settings…our elders worked their whole lives…to take away what is left of their independence in their last days is so heartbreaking sad…In my own experience: I know my dad prayed to die at home. I was frightened to have my dad living with me. My dad ended up in hospital and died there. We thought he was going to recover and make it home again, but we didn’t think he’d be able to go back to living on his own…I flipped back and forth between bringing him to live with me and sending him to the LTC, depending on the day. I know I would not thrive in an LTC setting. You have wonderful working for you but that’s not enough…you will feel alone, out of your space…
- Community and individual survival skills should be taught again at the lowest levels, for citizens to be able to function independent of $$$-status…knowing how to:
- mend clothes
- perform basic maintenance: electrical work, wood work, plumbing work, automobile and bicycle repairs
- identify edible plants and homeopathic remedies – gardening skills
- know basic healing/triage techniques
- know how to prepare healthy meals in the kitchen and in the forest or otherwise
- learn to question, to explore, to challenge the status quo, MEANINGFULLY
- learn and be guided by THE GOLDEN RULE, rather than conditioned by the rule of gold into a state of quasi-contentment, that is, until wealth pulls what is left of the foundation out from under the poor…
- Public Housing should be carefully thought out. Anyone renting knows that ‘official’ folks can just walk in and out of your living space so long as they give you a day’s notice, as often as they like and feel they need to. Everyone needs ‘space’, a buffer, in between: you can bet that your neighbours will complain if you are too loud, or cook strange dishes and make strange smells…smokers juxtaposed with nonsmokers, BBQ-ers with non-BBQ-ers, newlyweds juxtaposed with old folks…dog lovers with folks who are scared to death of dogs…the differences are endless…and guess what, your rights and independence will be sacrificed to the rights of others…NAMELY, THE OWNERS, in this case, the government…so, the public units should be equipped such that smokers can smoke inside their units (a designated indoor spot with proper ventilation), walls between units soundproofed, and, WHENEVER ANYONE PASSES A BYLAW THAT RESTRICTS SOMEONE ELSE, they provide an alternative. ‘YOU CAN’T DO THAT’ IS NOT AN ALTERNATIVE.
- GUARANTEED BASIC INCOME is in order. Everyone must have a living income. GBI can be used as the government’s share of responsibility to the Social Contract; organized community service/environmental remediation (tree planting, for i.e.) can be the citizens’ portion.
Remember, Maslow identified the levels humans must navigate in order to bring out the best in us. Our creator wants that too.
It’s our ruling classes that don’t. We are one body and one species. But our ruling classes know they cannot fly on a lark into low earth-orbit unless they fractionate the society and the World the creator gave them to steward into a world of us-and-them, and if they do that, they know we will become more and more enervated, less capable of helping ourselves, and much less able to contribute to, maintain, and extend society/creation.
Neoliberalism. The society of Wealth’s creation is an artifice. It cannot withstand the test of TRUTH OR TIME. It is a narrative told us to put us to sleep.
Life lets no one dream forever. We will awaken. Humankind will rediscover the Golden Rule. Wealth will reconcile itself WITH ITS GOD-GIVEN DUTY to STEWARD.
At least, IMO, that is what our creator is hoping.